Win a bottle of wine



Tuesday 17 May 2011

Welcome to my Wine Review Blog

As head sommelier at ARIA in Circular Quay,  I see customers face-to-face on a daily basis.  There are plenty of experts writing wine reviews, but I think I can offer something unique.  Not only do I have knowledge of wines, but I'm lucky enough to be able to get feedback from customers about what they're into and what trends and styles are striking a chord with the wine drinking public. It’s a great challenge to create wine lists that are accessible and give customers what they want, but at the same time to also take people on a journey, where they are taken in by a moment, or transported to a different place.

And there's another advantage to serving so many fine wines to so many different people.  It means I get the privilege of being able to get a little look at some of these wines when they're first opened. Then again, some wines need to breathe for hours to reveal their flavours.  Either way, I find the peaks and troughs of a wine’s life intriguing, especially when they can literally shut for a period of time and then re-ignite to blow you away.

I hope you'll enjoy my reviews and let me share with you some of the amazing wines I share with my customers - people with tastes just like yours.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, Good luck with the blog - I'm sure it will go great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great to find you. Some great posts here, enjoyed it a lot. So thrilled to hear what Sommeliers are doing in Australia. Will be checking in regularly - many thanks, JM

    ReplyDelete